Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Home Run

Counting the hours
Monday, October 17, 2011

Today was our final walk through. We are now quite literally counting the hours until we close. I'm ecstatic and stressed all at the same time!

This is the little closing gift our Realtor brought to our final walk through today. She has been amazing!!!!


And that little orange flower on the doormat is going to really bring out our mustard yellow door.

Halloween Nachos
Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Since we have been packing things like crazy I don't have much left in the way of cookware. I also haven't done much grocery shopping because I didn't want to have to move a bunch of food. So tonight for dinner we improvised. I had a bag of black and orange corn chips and a jar of pumpkin salsa which were just the right ingredients for Halloween Nachos!


Looks like we made it!!!!
Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Closing day!!!! We had a signing appointment set up for just after we dropped the older two kids off at school.


But the littlest one had to come with us. Luckily our title agent was prepared with a large tub of toys in the corner of her office.


And, no grass grows under our feet. So shortly after our signing appointment we picked up our U-Haul and got right to work loading it.

The kids were actually quite helpful.



Unfortunately though the final appraisal hadn't actually taken place yet. So they couldn't record so we couldn't get our keys. The appraiser showed up around 3:00 and the builder's agent called us around 6:00 and said we could pick up our keys first thing in the morning.

Welcome Home
Thursday, October 20, 2011

I was able to pick up our keys this morning after dropping the kids off at school, which means the house is now officially ours!!!! (Well, technically the bank's I guess. But as long as we continue to make our payments every month for the next 30 years, THEN it will be ours!!!)

So, the first order of business was, of course, the welcome mat.

Placing the welcome mat was followed by a brief moment of euphoria and giddiness which was quickly replaced by angst because the moving truck was still back at the rental only marginally packed. So I dragged myself back to the rental to help Mike load the truck.

Mike is the master loader and was constantly trying to keep an accurate picture his head of what large items still needed to fit on the truck so he could plan accordingly. So I made him this list and hung it just inside the truck so he would stop asking me what was still left inside.


In our idealized version of this story we were going to sleep at the new house tonight. But if you take a close look at the list above the beds still were not packed by day's end. So, looks like we will be sleeping at least one more night at the rental.

It's not too late!
Friday, October 21, 2011

Today marks day 3 of packing the truck. Okay, to be fair Wednesday wasn't a full day inasmuch as we picked the truck up around 4:00. But still I was already beginning to feel weary. When it's just two of you single-handedly loading all of your belongings onto a truck you quickly begin to realize just how much stuff you actually have! Which is why I kept trying to draw my husband's attention to this friendly sign inside the U-haul.


I repeatedly pointed out the line that says "IT'S NOT TO LATE.....Same Day Service Available"

But he just kept saying that we were tough and we could handle it. So.....I just kept bringing out more boxes, hoping he would eventually come to his senses.

He didn't, by the way. We loaded and unloaded the entire truck alone. Just the two of us. I even helped carry the washing machine up the stairs. And I have now decided that I am never going to move again. Ever.

Old Friends
Saturday, October 22, 2011

I should mention that my Mother-in-law flew down for a few days to help out with the kids while we moved. I do not know what we would've done without her! She was such a huge help!!!!

Today she got the kids started on unpacking some of their toys. My youngest was THRILLED to tear into the box of stuffed animals and find all his long lost friends. (There were a LOT of boxes we never unpacked while at the rental so he hadn't seen these stuffed animals since April.)

He was so excited that he couldn't decide which to sleep with.


My mother-in-law felt bad that she wasn't much help carrying all the boxes so she appointed herself the task of unpacking all the kitchen boxes.


She stayed up WAY too late, long after Mike and I had gone to bed exhausted.

Picture Perfect.....almost
Sunday, October 23, 2011

Today was the first day that we were able to actually slow down a bit and I realized that we hadn't yet taken a picture of us all in front of our new home!

So I went across the street and got the shot all set up so I could just hand the camera to my mother-in-law to take the picture. All she had to do was aim and shoot.

Here is how I set up the shot for her.

This is the picture we ended up with.


Liss said...

don't knock the mustard door, unless there is more than one on your street, it will make your house easy to find! :) (and so i can just sneak down there and show up on your doorstep ;) )

orangemily said...

Great door mat! Glad you had a good Realtor, would have been nice if you'd let me do a referral to her and benefit from it as well.
Seriously next time you move call the Elders quorum, no reason to do it alone.
Glad you're getting settled in to the new house, it looks wonderful!